05 November 2008

Prawning

The other day I went down to this place in Sin Ming Road where you can "fish for prawns" for an hourly rate. So, regardless of the number of prawns you manage to catch, big or small, your damage is just the rental of the space.

So, when I got there, I told Esther, "This is my first time prawning."

Esther then corrected me and said there was no such English word. So I asked her, "What is the correct way to say it then?"

"Fishing for prawns...." she said.

So days passed and we both didn't bother to verify whether there was indeed a word call "prawning".

One day while surfing Xiaxue's blog for my regular dose of her bitchiness, I came to know Xiaxue also uses the word PRAWNING!

It was used in her Youtube video for her Xiaxue's Guide To Life: EP33 - The BFF Finals (Part 1) where she went prawning with one of her 2 potential BFF at Pasir Ris Farmway. She used the word "prawning" three times! Thus I took for granted that the word "prawning" exists since Xiaxue can't be wrong (I idolise her).

Yesterday I finally had the time so I went to Dictionary.com and verified the word.

This is what I found:

Prawning = intr.v. prawned, prawn·ing, prawns. To fish for prawns.

Thus I would like to confirm that the word "Prawning" does exists, and if you are going to "fish for prawns" in the future, you can now use "Prawning".

3 Macro Voice(s):

eneres said...

cool.. would love to go prawning some days...

btw this is for tomorrow ONLY! For Ben & Jerry lovers! http://simply-me-simplicity.blogspot.com/2008/11/ben-jerry-chunk-fest-ice-cream-festival.html

weijie said...

is prawning really that fun ? lol .

Marc said...

yes its quite fun!


Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape